Subscriber recommended by the Brest Métropole Océane tourist office
Tel: 02 98 05 39 46
Fax: 02 98 49 23 36
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
This fortified construction built under Louis XIV has since been devoted to the memory of the Second World War.
• A little history
It was from Brest that the squadrons left to support the Americans in the fight for independence.
Louis XVI, who wanted to make this harbour an impregnable fortress, decided to add to the Vauban fortifications by building a line of defence to the West of the city. It is comprised of five separate forts.
The largest of these, Fort Montbarey, was designed to support a three week-long siege with 500 to 600 soldiers. Its construction lasted from 1777 to 1784. Completed after the American War of Independence, its only role was a dissuasive one.
The French Navy put it at the disposal of the Memorial Association in 1984, so that it might tell the story of Finistère during the Second World War.
• The Memorial offers
- A tour of a Louis XVI fort
- The gallery of the 10,000 men from Finistère who died serving France
- Homage to the Allies killed in combat
- Photos of Brest in ruins
- Films of Brest during the war
- The deportation railway truck
- Period military vehicles
- Various items of war equipment from 1939/45
- Models of combat scenes
|14 h 00 - 17 h 00||14 h 00 - 17 h 00||14 h 00 - 17 h 00||14 h 00 - 17 h 00||14 h 00 - 17 h 00|
Jours fériés: 14h-17h / Visite guidée pour groupes sur demande/ secrétariat:du lundi au vendredi 9h-12h/14h-18h
Times given are only an indication, for more precise information, please contact the service provider directly.
|5,00 €||3,00 € (9/18 ans)||3,00 € ancien combattant||- 9 ans|
Tarifs groupes 3,50 € / personne - sur réservation à partir de 10 personnes / scolaires 30,00 € par classe
The prices given are only an indication - for special rates please contact the service provider.
- Atelier Brest CopiesWedding announcements, menus,…44m
- RUELEN Myriane et MichelChambres d'hôtes en ville mais…0m
- McDonald's Brest Le Point du J…Restaurant rapide ouvert non s…0m
- DAVID Jean et JacquelineQuartier Ecole Navale. Maison…0m
- Belvédère Hôtel*** Open all year150m
- CALONNEC Jean-Yvesprofitez d'un ensemble chambre…0m